Who We Are
As a nonpartisan organization founded and led by black women driven by our lived experiences, The Barbara Jordan Leadership Institute provides a comprehensive approach to community based leadership in action. Through grassroots organizing, leadership development, and community education, BJLI strengthens the current generation of black leadership, recruits and prepares the next generation, and demonstrates our power by encouraging participation in the advocacy and the governing processes.
What We Stand For
The Institute focuses on the following goals toward community empowerment:
- Civic Education and Engagement
- Leadership and Advocacy Training
- Community Education on Health and Wealth Disparities and Resource Connection to Overcome Them
Mission and Vision
- Increasing the diversity of leadership by training, mentoring, supporting, and empowering black communities.
- Through a diversity of leadership, building fair, compassionate, healthy, prosperous and safe communities.